Friday, March 9, 2007

Lenses I still want

So, lately I've been shooting just about everything with my new 60mm Micro-Nikkor lens. It's absolutely a wonderfull lens, with it's tack sharp representation of everything, and it's macro function. I love working with it.

However, I do find the 60mm focal length a bit...restraining. There simply are shots I cannot take because of the 60mm focal length. I both need less or more, I'm talking about a range of about 20-200mm. Ofcourse, such a lens sadly does not exist. Well, maybe it does, but that would be a lens with a magnification factor of 10, and those lenses never fare well.

Ofcourse, you could ask; what about your 18-70mm DX lens? Well, shooting with the 60mm Micro-Nikkor has spoiled me a bit, with it's superb sharpness and it's f/2.8 light sensitivity.

So, we divide this focal range. I was thinking 24-70mm, 70-200mm. And there we have it. Two lenses I still need. Ofcourse, I do not want anything less than Nikkor, as I am a quality junky, so we'll have to look at their range of lenses. Also, I'd like to have mostly f/2.8 or better lenses.

What I've picked are the following;



- 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 3
9 bladed diaphragm, so it's bokeh is sure to be good. 2 ED lenses. Internal Focusing. Shortest focusing distance is 70cm, not particularly good, but good enough.




- 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
Vibrance Reduction, Silent Wave Motor, 5 ED glass elements, closest focusing distance is 1.5 meters, also 9 bladed diaphragm.


Now, I know the 28-70mm isn't really popular these days because of the 'lesser' focal length on a DSLR (42-105mm), but good optics are good optics. Besides, I'm not really into the really short focal lengths yet. When I am I'd probably buy the following lens, to complement my line up;



- 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED AF-S Zoom-Nikkor
Silent Wave Motor, 2 ED glass elements, 28 centimeters closest focusing distance, again a 9 bladed diaphragm.


By then, I have a rather good focal range of lenses; 17-200mm. All f/2.8, all 9 bladed diaphragm, all 77mm filters, all superior optics. Besides that, I'll have a 60mm Macro lens.

Oh, and there is one other lens I also want to have, and that's the 50mm f/1.8. I'd like to have it for those really really dark shots with little available light (hint: f/1.8). And it's really really cheap for the amount of optics it delivers :D.



- 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor
7 Bladed diaphragm, 45 centimeters closest focusing distance.


So that's it. Those are the lenses I still want to have.

I'll go and get that morgage now.

Bye,

Coen

No comments: